Far from a Europe-wide sphere of “public reason”, social media such as Twitter or comments on news sites suggest a growing crisis: especially when it comes to matters of identity, users repeatedly attack each other in highly emotional terms, with no sensitivity to differences across cultures, focusing on what divides people, not what unites them. With the DeLab, the project aims at an AI intervention system with which constructive, sensible and responsible communication in social media can succeed across cultural borders.
- The project funded by the “Artificial Intelligence – Its Effects on Tomorrow’s Society” of the German VW foundation (VolkswagenStiftung)
- DeLab is worth €1.5m of which over €200k comes to Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) (€202,000; 920,000 PLN)
- Coordinator at Georg-August-Universität Göttingen: Dr. Valentin Gold, principal investigator at WUT: Katarzyna Budzynska, post-doctoral researcher at WUT (tba)
- DeLab consortium: Katarzyna Budzynska, ethical responsible AI, Warsaw University of Technology (PL), Valentin Gold, experimental social science, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (DE), Annette Hautli-Janisz, empirical linguistics, University of Konstanz (DE), John Parkinson, political science, Maastricht University (NL), Chris Reed, computational AI, University of Dundee (UK)
DeLab partners: André Bächtiger, Universität Stuttgart (DE), Manfred Stede, Universität Potsdam (DE), Benno Stein, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar (DE)
- 04.2021-03.2025 Warsaw University of Technology