We analyse communication through the point of view of argumentation and ethos. More precisely – we specialise in studying public debates in conflict situations between speakers in various contexts, e.g. in political elections or social media.
Kasia (for short) studies ethos linking philosophy of language, corpus linguistics and AI. Head of The New Ethos. Associate Professor @WUT in Warsaw.
Marcin studies ethos and logos linking philosophy of argumentation and rhetoric. Deputy-Head of The New Ethos & Coordinator for Research. Associate Professor @WUT in Warsaw.
Basia (for short) studies ethos and pathos linking corpus and computational linguistics. Coordinator for Development @The New Ethos. Assistant Professor @UAM in Poznan.
Konrad studies ethos linking media studies and rhetoric. PhD Student in AMoRe project. Supervised by Marcin.
Yana studies ethos linking data science and corpus analysis. Research Assistant in iTRUST project.
Maciej studies ethos linking computer science and software engineering. Research Assistant in DeLab project.
He studies ethos linking XAI and computational linguistics. PhD Student in NL4XAI project. Supervised by Kasia.
Alina studies ethos and morality linking culture studies and rhetoric. Assistant Professor @SWPS University of Social Sciences and Humanities (Warsaw, Poland).
Andrea studies ethos, argumentation and framing linking linguistics and rhetoric. Professor @USI Università della Svizzera italiana (Lugano, Switzerland).
Olena studies ethos, logos and dialogue linking corpus and discourse analysis. Post-doctoral Research Assistant @USI Università della Svizzera italiana (Lugano, Switzerland).
Visitors and interns
Marie-Amelie has been working with us on ethos and Trust Analytics, linking corpus analysis, artificial intelligence and engineering. Feb-Aug 2022 MSc Student @Télécom Saint-Etienne (Saint-Etienne, France)
Martijn has been working with us on ethos and XAI, linking philosophy of argumentation and corpus analysis. Martijn was a team member of The New Ethos as a PhD student in NL4XAI project . Sept 2020 - June 2021
Rory has been working with us on ethos and Argument Analytics, linking computer science and computational linguistics. Rory was a team member of The New Ethos as a post-doctoral research assistant in the DeLab project. Aug 2021 - Jan 2022
Chris has been working with us on ethos linking philosophy and Artificial Intelligence. Chris was an associated member of The New Ethos. Jan 2020 - Feb 2022Professor @Centre for Argument Technology, University of Dundee (UK)
We collaborate in projects on ethos with colleagues from around the world:
- Centre for Research in Reasoning, Argumentation and Rhetoric (CRRAR), University of Windsor
- Web-Instrumented Man-Machine Interactions, Communities, and Semantics (SPARKS-WIMMICS Research Team), INRIA Sophia Antipolis
- Applied CompLing Discourse Research Lab, Potsdam University
- Center of Methods in Social Sciences, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
- Department of Linguistics, University of Konstanz
- Web Technology and Information Systems (Webis), Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Faculty of Law and Administration, Jagiellonian University
- Faculty of Psychology and Cognitive Science, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
- Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (IIIA), Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
- Centro Singular de Investigación en Tecnoloxías Intelixentes (Citius), University of Santiago de Compostela
- Department of Philosophy and Anthropology, University of Santiago de Compostela
- Department of English, University of Fribourg
- Institute of Argumentation, Linguistics and Semiotics (IALS), Università della Svizzera italiana (Lugano)
- Centre for Argument Technology (ARG-tech), University of Dundee
- Department of Communication and Media, University of Liverpool
- School of Humanities, Language and Global Studies, University of Central Lancashire